I'm a happy RN married to a hardworking resident. We have recently become Carolina fans and are adding the color "carolina" blue to our wardrobe and home. I love the east coast and couldn't be happier living in hot, sticky climate. I was raised on a farm/ranch with two wonderful parents and three fun loving older sisters. I went to a one room country school house down the dusty dirt road with grand total of three in my class. Life in the country was rich, meaningful, and simple, just the way I like it. So from country farmgirl to coastal bell, here I am, living life and loving it!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Homesick

Today started out as a usual morning.  Woke up to Jonah talking happily in his crib, had our milk and oatmeal for breakfast, then went outside to play.  We loaded up in the car and headed to Carrboro for our music's class one year anniversary party!  It was fun new park with lots of new things to climb on, a huge sand box, swings, and food.  What more would a 21 month old want?  We were having a good morning and then things started to go downhill really fast.  Jonah wanted someone else's truck, then he pushed someone down the slide, took a car from a little boy, pushed someone else, and touched every donut on the table screaming his head off when I smacked him.  A nice mother told me that her daughter hits too and it is just a stage they are going through.  I took it as encouragement, but I wasn't going to just let Jonah hit and figure it out on his own.  I listened  to her silently taking it all in and then saw Jonah out of no where whack a kid.  Tears started to build up and I calmly said excuse me, grabbed the diaper bag, grabbed Jonah, and left.

As we were walking to the car  I seriously wanted to beat him.  I was SO mad at him, embarrassed that he acted so terrible as other moms looked on and judged me.  I felt awful for feeling the way I was, but I was so fed up with him.  I don't know why he acts like that, I feel like the more I spank the worse he gets.  I don't know what to do with him?  I got him buckled in and within 2 minutes he was fast asleep in his carseat.  I looked in the rearview mirror and saw his sweet precious face and how beautiful he looked sleeping.  My anger quickly melted and I just prayed.  I prayed that God would give me the strength to carry on. To love Jonah as He loves Jonah and to figure out how to discipline Jonah so that he is a sweet boy who everyone wants to be around and everyone sees his sweet spirit and what a joy he is.  I prayed that God would show me how to discipline in love and grace.  I feel like being a parent is starting to get really hard.  It doesn't help that Tim is gone for 4.5 days and I am all alone.  Being a single parent stinks and the next few days are going to be long.  But thats where you pick up and move on.  It's days like this I miss home so much.  I have since regained my composure and Jonah has been asleep for an hour  and we are already doing better.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy! I found your blog while searching "Coastal Farmgirl"...you see my 16 year old son set up a dot com for me (I paint furniture) as a Mother's Day present yesterday...I then started to read your posts and was so toched by your warmth and honesty. I remember this stage of motherhood and feeling like you do. My first two children are 15 months apart, and my husband used to work 80 hours a week...it was lonely and tough at times. Hang in there, you are doing great! Sounds like your son was over tired...they do not know how to communicate this flustration, other than to act out physically. ( I am close to 50 and still have a hard time...lol)

    I feel a bit strange offerring parenting tips....My son and I had an ugly scene this morning...we can't seem to communicate verbally, but did okay texting, later...who knows?! The teen years are fun, too!

    Please be kind to yourself :) You are doing a great job! It is not easy, but definitely worth it!...make sure you pamper yourself just a bit...splurge on a babysitter just so you can have a moment to yourself...

    All the best, ART

    ReplyDelete